STFC Food Network + (part of N8 AgriFood) will be holding Sandpits at the Rothamsted Research campus on the 26th and 27th February next year.
We will be running the following concurrently from around 11am on Monday 26th February to about 6pm on Tuesday 27th February 2018:
* Transforming Food Supply Chains for a Sustainable Future
* Measuring the Ground Truth
You can find full details about the sandpits. If you would like to apply for either ‘Transforming Food Supply Chains for a Sustainable Future’ or ‘Measuring the Ground Truth’ please apply by Wednesday (6th December)
You can find full details about the sandpits on the email below. If you would like to apply for either ‘Transforming Food Supply Chains for a Sustainable Future’ or ‘Measuring the Ground Truth’ please complete the following details and return to Alison Fletcher the end of the day Wednesday (6th December)
Name: [Your Name]
Email address: [Your email address]
I am applying to attend (delete as applicable):
* Transforming food supply chains for a sustainable future
* Measuring the ground truth
(more details below)
I will attend on (delete as applicable):
* Monday 26th February (from 11am)
* Tuesday 27th February (all day)
Biographical information to go in the sandpit brochure and online: [100 words maximum]
I would be a good person to select to attend this sandpit because: [100 words maximum]
My 3 credentials most relevant to this workshop: [e.g. publications or reports using STFC data science, technology or facilities, or on your food research, or industry projects or titles or other achievements or indicators of esteem e.g. invited talks]
Sandpit 1: Transforming Food Supply Chains for a Sustainable Future
This Sandpit will focus on how STFC data science methods, technologies and facilities could be used to transform agri-food supply chain towards a sustainable and resilient supply chain. It will also investigate how to utilise different data sets and disruptive technologies for increasing traceability, transparency, collaboration and maximising value for all stakeholders in the supply chain.
Sandpit 2: Measuring the Ground Truth
This Sandpit will focus on how STFC technology and image analysis methods can help with assessing soil, specifically:
* Long terms changes in soil carbon sequestration
* High spatial resolution Earth Observation (EO) to understand changes in soil moisture over short (seasonal) temporal cycles (so farmers can optimise water)
* Use of EO at high spatial resolution to understand changes in soil chemistry
* Novel EO techniques to understand changes to ground water (gravimetric approaches) but at improved spatial resolutions (country rather than continent!)
* Technology to collect better ground truth data
In selecting successful applications to attend the sandpit, we will be looking for:
* people enthusiastic and able to communicate across disciplines and bring diverse perspectives
* a diversity of backgrounds
* a good balance of STFC specialists and food experts and
* a range of career stages (early career STFC researchers are particularly encouraged to apply).
* Strong preference will be given to people who can attend the whole sandpit.