N8 AgriFood students are invited to apply for a place at our Engaging with Industry Training day – the latest event in N8 AgriFood’s Doctoral Training Seminar Series.
The event, on February 26 2020, will provide an interactive session for 3rd and 4th year students who are considering a career in industry or who want to improve their skills in translating research for industry.
This session will give you everything you need to generate and communicate real-world impacts from your research with industry. You will learn about practical tools to time-efficiently increase the significance and reach of your impact. The training is based on the latest research evidence and takes a unique relational approach to deliver wide-reaching and lasting impacts. The course is run by N8 AgriFood Chair, Prof Mark Reed and features input from David Mela from Unilever, and is illustrated with examples of N8 industry engagement and impact.
• Learn about evidence-based principles for delivering research impact when you don’t have much time
• Discover easy and quick-to-use templates you can use immediately to:
◦ Prioritise industry stakeholders to engage with first
◦ Create a powerful impact plan that will guarantee your research makes a difference without wasting your time
• Learn how to create evidence-based business pitches that will drive action
• Design and facilitate meetings and workshops with industry partners and stakeholders: discover tools that will empower you to deal with the most challenging situations and individuals and lead events that everyone enjoys
• Build visibility and credibility for your research online. Understand the power and the pitfalls of using social media professionally, and find out how to become influential and drive research impacts for industry and stakeholders online without risking your time or reputation
After the workshop, you are invited to an optional free follow-up programme over five weeks, so you can apply what you have learned. You can work through these steps yourself from the handbook, but by signing up to take these steps online, you get access to extra material. Each step consists of a 6 minute video with accompanying text and tasks. Prof Reed continues to answer all questions from participants via email after the course.
About the trainer
Prof Mark Reed is a recognized international expert in impact research with >150 publications that have been cited >17,000 times. He holds a Research England & N8 funded Chair at Newcastle University, is research lead for an international charity, and has won awards for the impact of his research.
|The seminar is free to attend and is open to students studying agri-food related topics across the N8 Universities: Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Sheffield, Lancaster, Liverpool and Manchester. It will run from 10am to 4.30pm in The Nexus Building, Discovery Way, University of Leeds, LS2 3AA|
Click HERE to sign up for this event via the eventbrite page.